Human Resource Management is a management function that helps managers recruit, select, train and develop members for an organization. HRM is concerned with the people’s dimension in organizations.
Some core points related to HRM:-
- Organizations are not mere bricks, mortar, machineries or inventories. They are people. It is the people who staff and manage organizations.
- HRM involves the application of management functions and principles. The functions and principles are applied to acquisitioning, developing, maintaining, and remunerating employees in organizations.
- Decisions relating to employees must be integrated. Decisions on different aspects of employees must be consistent with other human resource (HR) decisions.
- Decisions made must influence the effectiveness of an organization. Effectiveness of an organization must result in betterment of services to customers in the form of high-quality products supplied at reasonable costs.
- HRM functions are not confined to business establishments only. They are applicable to non-business organizations, too, such as education, health care, recreation, and the like.
- HRM is a series of integrated decisions that form the employment relationship; their quality contributes to the ability of the organizations and the employees to achieve their objective.
- HRM is concerned with the people dimension in management. Since every organization is made up of people, acquiring their services, developing their skills, motivating them to higher levels of performance and ensuring that they continue to maintain their commitment to the organization are essential to achieve organizational objectives. This is true, regardless of the type of organization-government, business, education, health, recreation or social action.
- HRM is the planning, organizing, directing and controlling of the procurement, development, compensation, integration, maintenance, and separation of human resources to the end that individual, organizational, and social objectives are accomplished.
The HRM refers to a set of programmes, functions and activities designed and carried out in order to maximize both employee as well as organizational effectiveness.